Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Stance Upon Galileo's Trial

Looking upon Galileo's eminent trial, I am forced to choose a side in this matter. As a devout Catholic and supporter of the Church, I look only to further further the power of the Church as its humble servant. But in this case of Galileo Galilei, he has not actively challenged the Church and its ideals directly, rather he has only searched for the truth of the actions of the world through observations and factual evidence. He has stated that he is not an enemy of the Catholic Church, and he only wishes to seek the true answers of the world and to what orbits what. In this, I feel that Galileo is not guilty of these "philosophically false" and "heretic" claims that he has made. He has done no wrong here, rather he has used empirical evidence to show what he believes to be true, his goal is not to attack and disprove the ideas of the Church, but rather they are to seek the real answer of the cosmos. I feel that there should be no punishment thrust upon Galileo, and that perhaps the two sides can reconcile through perhaps an official apology from Galileo to the Church. However, I feel that the Church should not seek for Galileo to retract his findings and ideas, but rather they too seek for the true answer through the empirical method of observations and facts. I shall always support the Church, as a devout follower my entire life, but I feel that Galileo has done no wrong here.

No comments:

Post a Comment